Welcome to the Travel Safe Richmond homepage. Travel Safe Richmond is the City’s two-pronged approach to improving roadway safety for all users: people walking, biking, rolling, and driving. All components of Travel Safe Richmond are working together to create unified policies and infrastructure recommendations for improving roadway conditions throughout the City of Richmond. Input from City stakeholders and community members is a critical component of this effort. We hope you will share your experiences, challenges, and vision for the future of travel in Richmond.
Components of Travel Safe Richmond
The two components of the Travel Safe Richmond project include:
Local Roadway Safety Plan
Traffic safety impacts the health and comfort of all those who live and travel in the City of Richmond. The Local Roadway Safety Plan (LRSP) will identify traffic safety trends, and develop a program for the funding and implementation of improvements. The implementation of this plan is a step towards making the transportation system safe and more equitable for users of all transportation modes.
The LRSP’s primary goals include:
- Reduce fatal and serious injury collisions
- Ensure equitable traffic safety investments in the neighborhoods that need them most
- Support safe travel for people walking and biking, especially near schools and other high-demand areas
- Encourage safe driving, through roadway design and outreach
- Prepare for the future with climate-resilient transportation safety infrastructure
- Improve emergency vehicle response and access
Bicycle and Pedestrian Action Plan
The Bicycle and Pedestrian Action Plan will serve as the blueprint for improving walking and bicycling conditions in the City of Richmond for the next five years. This Plan will consolidate recommendations from the Local Roadway Safety Plan (LRSP) and coordinate with other Richmond planning efforts to provide near-term bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure recommendations. The proposed improvements will make it safer, easier, and more practical to walk, bike, roll and access transit throughout the City of Richmond.
Goals for the B/P Action Plan include:
- Develop a recommended bicycle and pedestrian network that builds on Richmond’s existing assets and focuses on closing existing gaps
- Develop a list of near-term (1-3 year) infrastructure projects focusing on bicycle and pedestrian safety and comfort
- Develop an implementation strategy that identifies potential funding opportunities and applies those to each project
- Develop a general set of guidelines for the development and implementation of bicycle facilities and off-street paths
The Bicycle and Pedestrian Action Plan is currently seeking feedback on where the City should make infrastructure improvements. If you haven’t already provided comments on the interactive map, please click here to share your input.
The project will be developed in two distinct phases as noted in the graphic below.
We need your input! Throughout the development of Travel Safe Richmond, the City will organize a number of events and digital opportunities to gather your feedback and ideas. All two components of the Project will coordinate their community engagement into one unified process. This section will provide details on current digital engagement opportunities, future events, and other ways to get involved with Travel Safe Richmond.
Do you have concerns about walking, biking, taking transit, and driving in Richmond? The interactive map below will allow you to tell us where you walk, bike, roll, take transit, and drive, as well as identify locations where there are barriers or areas that you have concerns about.
No events here yet!
Community Listening Event: Cafecito Con Claudia
September 25, 2021
Community Workshop 1
December 8, 2021 – 5:30 pm
Documents and Materials
This section includes various project documents, exhibits, graphics, and other project development materials to be shared with you throughout the process. Keep checking back here to see our progress!
If you have any comments or questions about the project, you can reach Lydia Elias firstname.lastname@example.org, or use the form below.